Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Stereotypes

“People like them are lazy, conceited, unintelligent, and useless,” are the statements that I constantly hear about Latinos and Hispanics nowadays. There are millions of people and now all of a sudden these ethnic groups are lazy, conceited, unintelligent, and useless? I don’t think so! For centuries, racism has been a huge issue in this country; ever since slavery was practiced in the 1800’s, it has been a huge influence as to what we go through now. We obviously don’t have slavery anymore, but back then it was considered that people with a darker skin type were a minority and that stereotype has been glued to some people’s minds. I on the other hand, don’t agree with that statement.    The question I find myself asking on a regular basis is, since when does race determine your character?Yes, there are different cultures that people bring from where they are from, but that doesn’t exactly form your character. Nothing should be based or judged on by the color of skin or where you came from and unfortunately, it’s the opposite.    


Everyone should give some credit to each and everyone they see, and not stereotype them for the way they look or where they are from. We can’t get rid of stereotypes and racism all together, but if each one of us individually worked on not judging one another you will definitely see a big difference. We live in America, and I believe that we should embrace the “freedom” that it was originally given and give that freedom to everyone.-AIMEE VARGAS


(Notice: By me posting, I hope you realize I'm not trying to say that only these groups are the ones being stereotyped. Everyone is stereotyped in one way or another, and I'm not wanting it to seem like it's not.)

No comments: